Journal5

Through this summer program, I learned a lot of things and the impression of the U.S. was changed. There were a few things that I thought of during this program.

First, in my opinion, the most notable charm of the U.S. is the diversity of people. All of those who live in the U.S. have different backgrounds. For example, my roommate was Chinese and she have learned Japanese for over six years. My PA was American but from Amsterdam. Other PA even said her grandmother was Japanese. So, I think we can not regard those who live in the U.S. as the same Americans. Everyone is different, and it is enjoyable to speak about their hometowns and the culture of the hometowns. At first, I like European culture because the history is so long and a lot of architectures in Europe were built in ancient times. Some architectures have colorful stend glass, which attracted me. In comparison with this, I was impressed that the architectures and other things in the U.S. are relatively new, so I was unsatisfied with culture and things in the U.S. But through the encounters with PA and teachers and many field trips, I recognized that the attraction of the U.S. are not only “things” but also “people”. On the other hand, in Japan, most of the people who live in Japan are Japanese. They have relatively similar experience, and children who once moved to a foreign country and returned to Japan tend to be rare. Thus, I hope it is natural that people from different countries are mixed in Japan like in the U.S.

Second, I found a lot of differences and similarities between Americans and Japanese. Of course, the main theme of this summer program was the difference between America and  Japan. How is the scenery different? How is the food? How is the room? I tried to ask these questions to myself. And in fact, I learned such differences. The buildings in Williamsburg were made of red bricks, and those of Washington D.C. were white. If we went to the U.S. and see the buildings, we can feel sense of unity. On the other hand, Japanese buildings are mixed with Japanese style and European style, so we may not feel sense of unity. Food was also different. The main menues in the American restaurant are sandwiches, pizza, and hamburgers. Only three. To be honesty, I was tired of these menues though the tastes are good. On the other hand, the shops in Japan are usually different kind from each other. There are not only Japanese food restaurants but also other countries’ restaurants approximately as the same number. However, the most impressive things were not differences but similarities. At first, I wondered what I talked about with American students. I did not know what they usually talked about and what they liked. But gradually, I found that they talked about familiar things such as their family, their favorite music, and their boyfriends! In Japan, we usually talk about these topics. And American students even use jokes. All ofthe jokes are funny. So, I could not help feeling similarity to American people. Though what I talked about with American students were trivial, all of them were my treasures.