In framework 3, I learned gender and sexuality in America. I have been very interested in gender, sexuality for a long time. Because I know that it is difficult for women to continue working after married in Japan. For example, in Japan it is more difficult to take maternity leave or childbirth than other countries. Of course, it is very difficult for men to take paternity leave in Japan. And Japanese respect masculinity, femininity. So I’m writing my opinions that Renee Kingan asked us in today’s lecture.
1.How do masculine/feminine behaviors affect you everyday?
–I used to think that women should be feminine, men should be masculine. Because I grew up in such a situation since I was a child. We wear school uniforms during school days in Japan. Boys must wear pants and girls must wear skirts. Boys mustn’t have long hair. I made stereotypes that women should be feminine and men should be masculine by childhood custom. So if I see men who are feminine, I’m very surprised with him and I feel a sense of incompatibility. But I think that it is good thing men are feminine because their personalities. I think school uniforms are Japanese traditions so it is very important for us to maintain. But it is not good in term of creating stereotype.
2.How does the media portray different identities and orientations?
–In japan, there are not homosexual characters in TV a few years ago but recently they came to appear on TV. However, there are many cases that they are coming out in the last period of drama. We watched their conflict before they come out and their interactions after they come out. The homosexual’s friends basically accept them. But I think that it is not true. Japanese tend to avoid discrimination against blatantly. In other words, their friends pretend to contact with homosexual as before coming out, but it is not unlikely that they actually accept them. Without theirselves, the friends often say discriminatory remark. But the media never express deep. I think that the Japanese darkness concerning gender is hidden here.
3.Should government protect or limit gender identity and sexual orientation?
–I think government limit gender identity and sexual orientation. In japan, same-sex marriage isn’t permitted by the low now. Japanese government say that it is very important problem for our country because if we permit same-sex marriage in the low, the way we look at home may change dramatically. Many people think that if we permit same-sex married, the birth rate must be lower. However, there is no data yet to provide such evidence. I think that Japanese government should permit same-sex married. Because it is good to have various families. However, I don’t say that Japanese government permit it right now. Because interest in homosexuals is low in Japan. If Japanese government permit it now, the couples will receive discrimination.