I’m going to talk about the framework lecture of gender and sexuality. At the beginning of the lecture, Ms. Renee asked us what is the image of Feminine or Masculine, and we could think of them soon because the definition is quite simple. The image of male and female is not complicated, but we often mix male things with female and the opposite can be occurred. For example, there is a change of hair style like woman’s short hair style. I think this is an interesting and optimistic fact in our modern culture. Unfortunately, there is also a complex and unsolved problem on the difference of sex or gender. Because of the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity, the existence of LGBTQ happens. I’m afraid that it will be have a larger influence on our society, and what we have to do is to understand LGBTQ and its cause. Actually, I did not know “queer”. I was surprised, and then the fact should be well-known in Japan. I found that Japanese is less conscious of the gender problem than American. Considered women’s opportunity and compensation in working situation, Japan is not developed so much. From these two late understandings, it is necessary to broaden an interest in the diversity of gender identity and seek action to change our society. I can say that the United States and Japan are the same in the point of the difficulty of fight against the power such as a stiff legislation.

Next, I shift the topic to race relations. Dr. Melvin and Ravynn presented a nice discussion. Also, there is one reason why I got excited about this topic. That is my experience of watching a movie, “Twelve Years a Slave”. This movie is one of the most impressive movies for me, and it does help me to come up with the image of slavery and make my thought of racial history deeper. The scene of bringing African people to America is very terrible. Yesterday’s slave trail took me an additional image of slavery. When I walked through the rough road in the forest, I wondered as if I have been a slave, and I felt miserable. One interesting fact from the lecture is that there is only 11 percent of African American people in the United States’ total population, and that means Ex-President, Obama, who is the first African American President, was elected by being supported by most of white Americans. This is a very grateful and memorable event from the slavery history. It shows us that a great change can be happened. About the word “change”, Dr. Melvin taught us “Change will continue.” I think the meaning includes both positive and negative thing, but from the point of cultural view, change will bring us a better future. About Race relations, I hope it will get better like slavery history. Slavery history is unique to America, and Japan have not experienced such a problem, so it was a meaningful lecture for me.