Before the lecture about Gender and Sexuality, I knew about how gender identity was becoming a highlighted issue in the world today. I see it more on the news today about the movements happening around the world with people raising voices for their rights. In my English class before, I had also learnt a bit about the relationship between gender, sexuality and identity so I thought I would know more about the topic. However, as the English class was more personal and talked mainly about myself, there was a lot more discoveries about how people viewed this sensitive topic, especially in America. In Japan, it is widely known that although women are legally equal as men, in reality, they are still struggling to gain the same rights as men. By watching movies and tv dramas with American women holding a cup of coffee in one hand, hastily making their way to work, I assumed that women in America had more chances to have a career than in Japan. Yet I was shocked to learn that it was not necessarily true, and that gender roles still do existed.
In Japan and America, some people are still feeling oppressed that they cannot show their true identity, while some people are still being judged by their race. Especially in America today, ever since Trump became president, it made me wonder how hard it must be for them for not being able to express themselves or to be approved by others about who they really are. While for the past 8 years there have been changes having to do with rights, and America is known for its freedom, it made me reconsider if that can be truly applied to gender, sexuality and race. In America, the movement of the LGBTQ’s have had a huge impact to the government and to the society, but it made me wondered whether if it had the same impact to the Japanese government, or to other aspects other than politics. There is a saying that history repeats itself, but right now, as long as Trump continues to take the lead, it felt to me like America could be following that step towards the dark days. On the other hand, it was interesting to listen to Dr Ely’s opinion that, as for the rights towards different races, this saying would not apply. I couldn’t have agreed more when he mentioned that changes would continue to happen in the future, but it didn’t occur to me that nowadays segregation is not about race, but it is shifting more towards people dealing with poverty. Leaving the people who are in desperate need of care is not the best policy at all, but by listening to the past few lectures, since every problem is complicatedly related to one another, it makes it even harder to solve. I would like to continue focusing on how different aspects of American culture can relate to identity for the remaning lectures.