Journal2

In framework4 we learned about race relations in American history. I think racial issue is difficult to solve because it is hard to get everyone equal. I compare the racial problem in America and Japan, and I consider how I can solve these problems.

In the past in American society black people were separated with white people, and I learned that segregation still remains now. About discrimination of the past, we looked at the picture of lynching. When I looked it I felt sad and I was shocked because people who were watching lynching were smiling. Now inhuman treatment such as lynching is not conducted but I feel sad that segregation still remains.

After the lecture I remembered the one of the Japanese racial problems. It is about Ainu race. Ainu race is ethnic groups that Jomon people who had settled in Tohoku and Hokkaido built their own culture. And Ainu race was discriminated because they had its own culture. For example, Ainu people believed in different religions from Japanese in other areas and had different architectural styles, languages and ethnic costumes. When I went to Hokkaido as a school trip, I learned that even now discrimination still remained.

Ainu’s discrimination is ethnic problem so it is little different from segregation of American black people, but I think Ainu problem and black people’s segregation are similar in that both of them still remain in the society. From this fact I think it is difficult to eliminate segregation or discrimination continued from long ago. To eliminate them we should change our own attitude toward them. I think changing people’s mind about race is needed to erase segregation or discrimination. Of course government can make a law to prohibit them. But only action by government is not enough to eliminate them. To change people’s thought about race, I think learning each race is needed. Learning about race is important to respect each culture and I hope that it help to erase segregation or discrimination.