Journal2

I learned about American perspectives of gender and sexuality after Renee Kingan taught us. She first asked us about thinking of feminine and masculine image, and I think that make-up, beauty and long hair are feminine and muscle, handsome and beard are masculine. And then, I understood the importance of performativity, reproduction, compensation, legislation and intersectionality about gender. Also, I heard of LGBT, but I didn’t hear of LGBTQ. So, I looked up “Q” and learned that “Q” means queer/questioning and queer/questioning mean weird, odd or different. I heard that white, rich and heterosexual men had great power in America in the past, but nowadays LGBTs are starting to have a power. Therefore, those who are not LGBTs are upset about losing job. I thought that the number of the LGBTs was pretty low, but actually it is more than I expected because there are a variety of people in America. I was surprised that American people are thinking of LGBTs, for the rate of the LGBTs in Japan is lower than in America, so we have a few chances to think about LGBTs. Also, in Japan, almost all of the areas prohibit same-sex marriage, because only a few Japanese people feel tolerant against LGBTs.

Let’s move on the topic of race. Dr. Melvin Ely’s lecture through the racial history in America was very easy to understand, so I learned about the American thought about race. At first, white people who came to America worked by themselves, but they started to exploit Indians and African people as labor. And then, whites thought that most blacks became enslaved to make money. However, about 150 years later, people started to think that slavery was bad and then many laws to abolish slavery were made. In Japan slavery didn’t exist and there is only one race, so I haven’t thought of these things. If I continue to stay in Japan, I will not have to think about race. However, today the world is being increasingly globalized, so I should think more about race.