On lecture 6, I heard an interesting relationship of culture, citizenship and consumption. I have an optimistic stereotype of culture, which is no legal things or no need for money and so on… I was thinking that culture has free access for everyone and all of us can share culture. But what I found from the lecture is that the reality is different from my idea. Actually, Culture is structured by some aspects of society. For instance, slavery is a good example. Enslaved people who did not have citizenship could not touch culture so much because they were not seen as people. Though the idea that culture is no limit and easy nowadays, there was a past time when it was not the same. This fact brings me a new and deep perspective of culture, as culture can become economic thing when we consider a matter on consumption.

On lecture 7, I found that American food culture is totally different from that of Japanese. One of the reason is the effect of industrial development. Because the United States is much bigger than Japan and it is much more necessary to make food to feed a large amount of population, Americans have been thinking about how cheaply and how efficiently they produce food. From this point of view, efficiency is more important than their dietary life. Moreover, both Americans and Japanese should take care of dietary education because people do not know a right way to choose what we eat originally. I thought there is lack of attention to dietary education in every country. About obesity, I noticed its cause is different from each country’s culture. In the case of the U.S., a pyknic means poor. On the other hand, Chinese recognize obesity as the symbol of success because they have a lot of money to spend for special food. This suggestion tells me that the difference of how to regard things as makes cultural diversity.

On lecture 8, to be honest, I could not understand so much. Even if I graduated from Catholic school, there are many complicated kinds of religion and Japanese do not have religious thinking so much, so that makes this topic difficult to me. But, I think religious study is very important because I can see from history that religious sometimes has power to change society. The experience of a visit to church is precious. I went to a Unitarian church and I do not have a chance to do so in Japan, so it means great to me.