journal 3

When I listened to the lecture about citizenship, culture and consumption, I really felt that it was so complicated for me to understand what the professor said completely. That was my initial impression. However, the thing I learned was consumption is directly related to forming identity in terms of politics, economics, and race. In my life, I have never considered these relationships, because my society is homogeneous compared to American heterogeneous society. Why do American and Japanese average people have to regard thin person as ideal model based on advertising, dolls, and magazines? Personally, I disagree with this idea, because I am not fascinated by skinner people at all. I feel curvy and chubby women seem so feminine. However, according to the survey, Japanese woman think of themselves as being fat even though their average weights are around 55kg. Additionally, more than 90% women have experiences of going on a diet. I believe that the movement is to blame for Japanese media.

Regarding of American food lecture, the most impressive expression is “Food is political.” From my viewpoint, the Japanese government control agricultural industries. Even though the Japanese government sometimes makes use of Japanese food as political cards of negotiating with foreign countries in order to make a good deal or sigh the beneficial treaty, such as TPP, I evaluate that Japanese dietary education is advanced at school. On the other hand, I am disappointed at American nutritious education. When I asked Khanh Vo a question, she said to me that although Ms Obama attempted to do “Let’s move” to reduce American children’s obesity, American policy depends on the administrations or the president of the United States of America every four year. Besides, she told me that in America, capitalism is implanted so the school teachers or the government cannot control unhealthy fast food at school. Right now the most important thing as adults is we seriously have to think about our future children’s health based on their nutritious education separating from politics.

As for many presentations students did, I am so surprised to see that each group struggled with preparation of presentations. For example, we require many pictures so as not to make audience focus on listening to presentations, gimmicks of attracting attentions, and abundant evidence to persuade attendees clearly. Personally, the most impressive groups were the hero and animation. They could analyze many factors in detail so I could not find fault with something to ask my unclear questions. I got a sense of cooperation this time but I realized that I have to cooperate with some people because I have no chances to make any group presentations at my graduate school. This opportunity provided me with many things to reconsider as an academic student.

When I visited the New Zion church today, the thing I am curious about is the Sunday school system. Before I asked some protestants, I thought the meaning of it was that the system have provided educational opportunities for blacks due to lack of educational chances. However, a lot of families who are religious take advantage of the Sunday school as teaching children how to live properly, how to pray, and how to interpret the bible appropriately. That’s so interesting for me, because in Japan there are not any systems apart from Christian. The reason is a majority of Japanese are nonreligious so they have to go to religious institutions unlike normal schools. From educational perspective, Japanese people have to learn this system, because the Sunday school system can contribute to strengthening community ties among all generations. In japan, one of serious issues is that young generation tends to interact with elderly generation less and less in not cities but also suburban. That’s why it  is worth comparing these differences and each advantages between the two natation now.