Journal3

I took lecture about Consumption in modern American. I think there are many differences between the United States and Japan consumption. First, way to express identity are different. In the US, people have tattoos to express identity. Their tattoo is very interesting and may be meaningful. My friend have tattoo of the name of his children and his wife. However, a few people have tattoo in Japan. If the person having tattoo is prohibited from entering the pool and hot spring so it can be said that it is a violation of citizenship. Second is grocer’s store. American stores have very big buildings, big carts, a lot of type of foods, many clothes and stationery, cosmetics. We can buy everything at once. In contrast, Japan’s one have smaller buildings, smaller carts than the US. Moreover, if we want to buy everything at once, we should go to shopping mall. It is a high building with more than two stories. Thirds, “Buy one, get one free” is. It is not seen very often in Japan, In Japan, Dominos Pizza use the way to “Buy one, get one free” in Japan, but it is not popular way. In japan, the retailers have a small stock so they cannot use the selling way. Instead of, they sell a thing for low cost. On the other hand, it is very popular in America. I think that buy in bulk to replenish stocks as cheaply as possible. They also want to sell many so “Buy one, get one free” is convenient. Finally, way to use a national flag is difference. Many Americans use a national flag routinely, clothes, household furniture and so on. However, most Japanese use a nation flags only Sports watching and memorial event, not routinely. Both countries have the patriotism so I think the difference way to show their patriotism. I have never compered cultures though the consumption. In this program, we compare it from various angles and we can find multifarious differences. It is very interesting for me.

Today, I went to St. Bede Catholic Church. It was the first time to go to a church for me. I don’t know about Christianity but they warmly welcomed me. Japanese people don’t have a strong sense of religion as a whole, and the majority are substantially close to having none, although many people are personally involved in a specific religion or religious school. However, I thought that the religious connection was also wonderful.