We all moved to Washington D.C. on August 15th. It took 3 hours to come here by bus. I was sleeping almost all the way. When I woke up, I could see highways and the city with many buildings, not forest. Comparing to Williamsburg, the D.C. looks like urban city, of course. But because Washington D.C. is a capital of the United States, I thought it is supposed to be more cityish. Tokyo, which is also a capital, has a lot of skyscrapers and people. Since I was born and brought up in Tokyo, my image of city or capital is Tokyo and because of Tokyo centralization, Tokyo has literally everything in Japan. But in the United States, not all of the important functions are centralized, as we know. Therefore, we can see lots of stuffs that is related to politics such as embassies, government agencies or monuments D.C. in , but not so much shopping streets or something like that. This is my first impression of D.C.

On August 16th, we went to the Japanese embassy to see the people who are working there. We were lucky to have a chance to talk with them. They told us about their career so far and we were able to ask questions. It was worth listening to their stories because I would like to work internationally, too. They are the very people who are working internationally. I could get their advices and realized that not only English skills or world-wide perspectives but also the knowledge related to Japan is very crucial. I’m not so familiar with Japanese history so I’ll start learning it when I go back home.

And I visited the World War Ⅱ memorial. It has a big water fountain at the center and there are many stone monuments around it. I was so shocked to see the monument that has the words of President Franklin D. Roosevelt about Pearl Harbor. It says that the incident is so hard to overcome but American people will win through to be absolute victory. It reminded me of the fact that we Japanese and Americans were once enemies during World War Ⅱ. That’s why I think that memorial is so meaningful to me. And, at the same time, I felt so glad that we both became friends again and the good relationships have continued until now. Some people, such as person sitting next me on the train, taxi driver and store stuffs, spoked to me and asked me where I came from. As I answered that I came from Japan, everybody told me that they wanted to go to Japan. I was so happy to hear their saying so. I hope this good relationships between Japan and the U.S. will continue for ever.