I went to Georgetown with some friends during the free time on August 15th. At that time, I took subway for my first time. In Japan, I access subway almost every day, because I must take subway to go to school. However, it is completely different from subway in Washington, D.C. so I was very surprised, and felt fresh. Therefore, I want to write about the differences between subway in Tokyo(Japan) and one in Washington, D.C. in this Journal.

The points that I focus on are the structure of station and the train. The first, about the station, what I the surprised most is the depth of the underground (the length of the escalator). To compare with Japan, there is much dark, and we had to go down the long escalator, so I was little scared. In addition, the ceiling of the platform is positioned horizontally to the ground in Tokyo(Japan). On the other hand, ceiling is arched in Washington, D.C.

The second, about the structure of the train, there were a lot of differences too. For example, there are a lot of advertisement in the train, like on the doors, the windows, and near the ceiling, while there are few advertisements in the train in Washington, D.C. Also. Japanese trains must have strap, but ones in Washington, D.C. don’t have. Furthermore, the seats along the window are measure in Japan, in contrast, seats toward the engine are measure in Washington, D.C.

I think that these differences are caused by the difference of the number of subway users. In Japan, many people access subway for commuting, so most of the train become packed train in the morning on weekdays. That’s why trains are came up with a different way, such as arrangement to many people could ride on the train in Japan. Conversely, I think subway users in Washington, D.C. are few. What I mentioned above are the differences of the subway I noticed.