First I would talk about the experience at the Japanese embassy. When we went to the Japanese Embassy we had a chance to have a conversation with the embassy’s staff. We talked with two staffs, Mr. Nemoto and Mr. Seto. The conversation stimulated me a lot.

First, my group talked with Mr. Seto. He introduced himself briefly and then, we took turns talking about what we want to do in the future. Most of us, including me, said we haven’t decided what to do after graduating university. Then Mr. Seto told us that the Japanese society is┬ástarting to be rather more acceptable of changing their jobs. Since most companies in Japan have the lifetime employee system, it used to be more common to continue to work for the same company until you retire and would be very hard to change jobs. But recently more people are changing their jobs. Also when we talked to Mr. Nemoto, he talked about his rare career. He first studied Japanese literature in Keio University, but he changed his major to law. In Japan most people decide their major before entering university and do not change their major. By talking with these two people, it made me more relaxing to think about the future and I thought it is important to try to do what I want to do because we have chances to change the directions if we make wrong decisions. It was such a wonderful time at the Japanese embassy.

Next, I would talk about my impressions of Washington D.C. as the capitol city. Before going to Washington D.C., I was wondering why there are so many important buildings in the same place. I thought it is making Washington D.C. more dangerous because if there is somebody trying to attack America, Washington D.C. would be a perfect place to attack. However, when I went to see the memorials and other places like the White House, I understood why they took the risk to have those buildings close to each other. Through visiting the monuments, I felt the whole history of America because there were many monuments related to various parts of the history, not just one part. For example, there was the Korean War Memorial and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial next to the Lincoln Memorial. All of them are related to the history from different period of time. By visiting these monuments we would think about each history that has relation with the monument. In Japan, there is no such place like Washington D.C. so we have to go to different places to see each memorial. And if we go to the place we think only about one period of the history. I think Washington D.C. stimulates people’s identity as an American. Also, by having many important buildings in Washington D.C., it reminds people that the capitol city is Washington D.C. and how important it is.