Through the all event in the program, Keio/W&M Cross-Cultural Collaboration, I could learn a lot of things about the United States especially lifestyles of the student in Virginia.

Firstly, I would like to talk about diet of Americans. Don’t get me wrong, but I thought most all of Americans like and usually eat American foods such as hamburgers or pizza before I came to this program. However in this program, we could eat a lot of kinds of food like Korean, Indian, Italian and of course American, so I thought that there is little difference of food culture between Japan and the United States. Moreover, some Americans avow vegetarian like Chris’s family. The cause of my biased opinion is to apply to a stereotype “Americans eat so-called junk food.”

Secondly, I would like to talk about duty hours in the U.S. Almost all of shops especially retail and service store like pharmacies, coffee shops and so on. Therefore I had a little bit hard time when we stayed at Washington D.C. because we could not buy our breakfast or water at midnight. On the other hand in Japan, some shops like a convenience store open all year round. And I was surprised by office workers when I walked around the city. Usually in Japan, more than half of office’s light is still on at night but in the U.S., I could see office workers on their way home in spite that the sun still rises. Sometimes this situation such as overworking in Japan is becoming a social problem. Why does it happen in Japan? I think that it is caused by historical background. In 1880s, Japanese industry had advantage of the cotton and steel, so the custom as people work from morning to night took root because they work in the same factory by using machines.

Thirdly, I would like to talk about consciousness of our history. In the U.S. especially in Washington D.C., there has a lot of monuments or statues for handing down from generation to generation. Moreover Smithsonian Institution manages many kind of museum near the political facilities, so I felt that people living in the U.S. think things from the historical background is most important thing because of the number of monuments. On the other hand in Japan, the way to hand down from generation to generation is almost passed on by word of mouth like the story of World War II by my grandfather. Therefore there has a problem not to tell people exact and equal.

Fourthly, I would talk about the things I would still like to learn about the U.S. I will work at the real estate company, which has a strategy to expand the scope of business area like Asia, the U.S. and Europe, next year. Through this program, we could learn a lot of American culture in the lecture, but I want to know it especially business environment because I would like to work in the U.S. as real estate officer or architecture in the future, so I am still interested in the scene of business in the U.S. like legal system, difference among the each states and so on.

Finally, let me just say one thing, “Thank you everyone.” I appreciate lots of supporting by PAs, CIs and the member of this program. Owing to this I could have such a great time and I hope to see you again!