journal 5

These two weeks in the United States were so exciting and useful for me. This is the first time to visit to America and to speak with the native speakers who are the same age. So before I left Japan, I was very worried whether the word could be understood and communicate. But the assistants were very kind and funny. If I couldn’t understand what they said, they explained with the easy-to-understand words.

This program is the best curriculum that makes it easy to know about American culture and history. For example, in the morning lecture the teacher talked about the races, then we discussed the topic and asked the teacher. In the afternoon, we went to the slave trail. In this way, we acquired knowledge of the topic and by discussing in the dialog class it is possible to solve the question. In the afternoon activities, I was able to think about how history was handed down to the present, and I was able to deepen my understanding.

What I felt at first when I arrived in the US, everything in the city is large and clean. Because the road is wide, there are few traffic jams and there is nothing to hit by a passing parson. Most buildings were lower than two stories. I felt that they used the space extensively.

I was surprised that there were many museums and almost museums were no admission fee. I felt that this tells the importance of keeping history in the memory of many people and inheriting it. Although the history of the United States is short, it has been moving a turbulent history that it changed dramatically and faced various problems every time a revolution occurred. I was wondering from what viewpoint they looked back on history, because various races are mixed in the United States. I thought that the government wanted many people to know the history, but I was wondering how the museum is established without entrance fee.

The new impression I have with Americans is that they are tolerant of failure. In the discussion, there is a tendency that Japanese people have the idea that they have to make remarks that will make discussions progress. Therefore, they usually speak only when a good idea emerges or when there is some opinion. On the other hand, even when there is no particularly good opinion, American people basically speak something.

I guess what affects the psychological difference that Japanese people tend to synchronize with others than Americans. Most of the people living in Japan are Japanese, and a few people such as Ainu people have been discriminated against historically. It is strongly conscious that belonging to the majority is a good thing. Therefore, it is unfamiliar to say opinions different from people. In America there are various races, and historically there is reflection on racial discrimination. So they can accept people of various values, and each one has a firm opinion of their own. Thus, native speakers were more tolerant what I said.

In the past I thought I had to speak English with correct grammar and vocabulary and I felt a sense of resistance to speaking English. In a conversation with native speakers for two weeks, there has been no fear of having opinions or arguing differently from people. I realized the importance in the discussion. It is also important to say whether you agree or disagree with other people’s opinion.

Prior to joining this program, I thought that I would like to work in a workplace where only Japanese work, just because I am not good at speaking English. However, even if I live in Japan, there are many opportunities to use English. English is not a problem good or poor, but it’s indispensable as a tool for conversation. From now on, I will learn to use English as one means, not fluent and correct English.

I am especially full of gratitude to Daniel. He is very smart and kind. No matter how difficult the task was, he explained it clearly to important points. He has a lot of knowledge and I was able to absorb new knowledge each time he spoke. He took us to various kinds of restaurants and shops. He was going out with us until late at night. Even if our members were chased by the time of preparation’s preparation, he encouraged us who were impatient and excited the place by saying interesting things. I could not finish our presentation without he, nor enjoyed for two weeks.

In these two weeks, I could learn English skill and American culture even outside class hours. I really appreciate all of PAs and CIs. I will keep learning English and I want to go back to the US and meet them someday.