Miu Nishimura Jornal1

When I arrived Dulles Airport, I thought everything was big. People, land, or university are all big. Narita Airport, Japan, is smaller than Dulles. Gathering many people in tiny places was ordinary for me, but after coming to the US, I noticed it was a stereotype. Moreover,

American people are kinder than I have expected. I was afraid of making them angry because I couldn’t speak English fluently, but everybody who I saw in the US tried hard to understand what I said and smiled to me. It is said that Japanese clerks are polite, but I think American clerks are more friendly than Japanese. Though I have stayed the US for 4 days, I found I have had many stereotypes for foreign culture. During this program, I want to talk with American people as much as I can to diminish various stereotypes. To achieve this goal, I must speak American people, or tell them my own opinions. I am poor at telling my opinions, but I will try hard.

Dr. Kitamura said culture is around us. Before I came to the US, I thought American people were totally different from Japanese, and I thought I could not understand others. But this was a mistake. To try to observe others, or to communicate people is suitable for contacts between different cultures. I thought I should prepare for talking with foreigners, but I should not cheerfully hesitate to talk with them. I should not be afraid of being disagreed. If my English is strange, I improve it by talking with others.

And I learned a history of Williamsburg. I thought Williamsburg was very old city, but I didn’t think it is unusual. Japan has some places similar to Williamsburg such as Yokohama, or Kobe. Japan kept independence in spite of imperialism, so Yokohama and Kobe look like Williamsburg, I think. I have known they are unordinary cities in Japan, but I have ignored how strange Williamsburg is. I think it is negligent. Through a lecture of Dr. Arthur Knight, I find I have to keep thinking to know foreign culture or unknown places.