Yuna Yamada journal2

I watched a baseball game of Richmond Flying Squirrels. There were some mascots such as Nutzy, which is a mascot of Flying Squirrels, a bear, and dinosaurs. Their forms were almost human, for example, Nutzy’s suit was only his head, and his body was a human in the uniform. Furthermore, dinosaurs danced aggressively, so I did not feel them as mild as Japanese mascots.

A lot of mascots are in Japan which were called “yuru-chara” every local government or of course every baseball team. “Yuru-chara” means a mascot which have “kawaii” (cute) and unsophisticated body. They rarely look like human body, because their legs are shorter, and their heads are bigger than real human. For Japanese, maybe this big-headed form is funny and cute. On the other hand, the form like human is odd and not cute. Such characters are there also in Japan, but I think people recognize them to be a curious new type character.

I think people can see these differences also between Micky Mouse and Hello Kitty. Micky Mouse is an actor and live as well as human from the beginning. Hello Kitty is Just a character, so she does not do like human at first, but she has been added many character settings and do the same as we do. American mascots are in a human way, and Japanese mascots are not real.

What makes this difference? I think these differences come from the attitude of adults to mascots. I have an image that American animations or comics target children, so I think that targeting adult contents such as mascots of baseball team are not cute forms. To the contrary, Japanese love cute mascots also adults, so appearances of mascots are cute. Now there are people who like mascots to a certain degree in the US probably. Although there is a trend that Japanese adults like cute, and American adults prefer real to abstract mascots. Of course, I cannot say sweepingly that, but I saw these mascots, and then I felt Japanese and Americans want different features to mascots. I want to see more mascots or characters which I can recognize the feature of American mascots in this stay.