Kaori Sano Journal3/what struck me in the morning class

At first, I think both the lectures on 12th and 13th are interesting. It reminds me to think about unkindness to diversity, especially in Japan. According to the constitution of Japan, all men and women are created equal, and all citizens have the right to decide individually who to marry. However, same-sex marriage is not allowed in Japan. Although conservative people oppose to the idea, I like Japan’s constitution because it has same philosophy to a quote in The Universal Declaration of Human Rights “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights”.

By contrast, the reality of women in Japan is terrible. Many Japanese women have to endure the part-time jobs, whose salaries are half as much as that of men. Many Japanese working men are too conservative to hire women with a responsible job whose salaries are higher than ordinary jobs. They think women should do both work and houseworks, but they actually don’t know how hard it will be. One reason for this is, in my opinion, the lack of gender education in Japan. Professor mentioned that the notion of gender and sex are so different, but none of my high school teachers taught us so important thing!!

I asked to Ms.Vo that if she had had the negative impression when she first visited Japan. She said many of shy Japanese kept silence, and on the other hand, talkative Japanese people asked where she’s from and express positive impression towards Americans. To tell the truth, I have never met Japanese who express negative impressions towards America. Rather, more than 80% of my high school colleagues love to watch Disney movies and often visit Disneyland. I think it’s common for most Japanese people to be attracted by Disneyland and Disney. It is  because we believe we can get hopes and dreams for future from Disney and desire to believe oneself, not just they want to forget real and escape from inconvenient reality.

As I shared in a dialogue class, I like movies with happy-end story because I desire to be confident in myself, and to say “Yes, we can!” in my heart. So I was shocked to watch the Pepsi’s commercial made negative reputation at that time. But I learned that not all people in America is satisfied with reality in there. In fact, some critics say Disney is a symbol of White ignoring other races. I think the story of Poca Hontas has bad effects especially to children with no education for race because it is too white-blinded story, justifying to force European customs to other races.