Yuna Yamada Journal3

I watched “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” in Daisy’s room. I have watched the Japanese version in Japan, and I have played some Pokémon games, so I was used to listen and see Japanese name of Pokémon. Besides, I knew that the monsters have each English name. So, I watched the movie while paying attention to the names.

The English names have some types; the same names as Japanese, ones translated in English, or ones to explain characters of a monster. For example, Pikachu is the same as Japanese. “Meowth,” which looks like a cat, comes from “meow” (the cry of a cat in English) and “th”, on the other hand in Japanese, “Nyâth” (the cry of a cat in Japan). Or “Psyduck” comes from “psychic” and “duck”, which uses psychic and looks like a duck. I did not know individual English names in detail, but on this occasion, I searched the derivations.

Focusing on English names, I thought why names of Pokémons are not in Roman character, but English names. In my opinion, even names of Pokémons are influenced Japanese culture. I know a Pokémon which have a name from a Japanese proverb. Such names con not make sense for not Japanese speakers. Moreover, in Japan and America, animals cry differently like “Meowth” and “Nyâth.” And there are many Pokémons whose names come from Japanese puns, so these names need to be changed. By searching English names of them, I could learn about American culture.

I felt the respect of producers to original Pokémon. I watched the movie with English subtitles, so l could hear and see voices of Pokémons. They cried their English names. And also, the end credit had much love of producers, because the end credit was composed of illustrations of comics with Japanese letters such as katakana and Chinese characters. When I watched it in Japan, I thought this end credit is only in Japan because of Japanese letters. But the same credit was used in English version. I felt that Pokémon is loved all over the world. I also love Pokémon, so I am glad to see the love to Pokémon.