Yuna Yamada Journal4

I spent a couple of days in Washington, D.C. and experienced the atmosphere. Washington, D.C. is the capital city of the United States, but I had the impression that it is different from Tokyo, the capital city of Japan. Because Washington, D.C. is smaller than 23 wards of Tokyo and does not have more busy streets than Tokyo. I felt, however, the point that many administrative facilities are gathered in Washington, D.C., and many parts of the city are a business district is similar to Chiyoda-ku in the 23 wards. When I was a junior high and high school student, I went to Chiyoda-ku every day for six years. Around my school, there are many administrative facilities, offices, and embassies, so it looks like Washington, D.C. The United States is far bigger than Japan, and a lot of large busy streets are in other cities. For this reason, I think that administrative facilities came to gather in Washington, D.C.

But there is a different thing between Tokyo and Washington, D.C. This is how to decide the address. Tokyo is put the address by irregular number, a house number. On the other hand, in the United States, the address is shown by regular street numbers and characters. In terms of address, Tokyo and Washington, D.C. are different. But there is a prefecture whose address is shown by regular street numbers. That is Kyoto. Kyoto is an ancient capital city of Japan, there are old buildings now. In Washington, D.C., buildings which I guess are old buildings are used as administrative facilities. In terms of address and buildings, Kyoto and Washington, D.C. have similarities.

It is later that Tokyo became the capital city than Washington, D.C. So Washington, D.C. has a longer history as the capital city than Tokyo, but shorter time than Kyoto. I felt Washington, D.C. is like a fused city of Tokyo and Kyoto. These three cities have each importance as the capital city.