Journal 5 Daiki Takatsuka

To begin with, I am very bored in Japan now, because two weeks in the United States was very very very exciting. So if possible, I would like to go back to America. I really miss you guys.

To be honest, before the programI thought American people were very self-assertive. But now I know this was wrong. American people are very kind. Let me tell you one story. “When I was waiting in line at a storean American woman told me to be careful pointing at my wallet.” I thought she was kind. Maybe in Japanpeople dont tell tourists from other countries to be careful. It is often said that Japanese people are kindbut I think American people are also kind.

In the United States, I learned much more things than I had expected.

The most important thing I learned in the United States is trying to use English even if I cant speak English fluently. English is languageso if I dont try to use itI can never improve it. To tell the truthat firstI couldnt understand what American people said because they spoke English at natural speed. And of courseI couldnt reply it. But I tried to communicate in English again and again. If I try to tell somethingpeople who are taking with me try to understand what I say. I listen to other peoples Englishand learn how to speakand use them next time. In this wayI reported many trials and errors. This made my English level improved. Dont be afraid of making mistakes. It is important to make a lot of mistakes if you want to learn English.” This is the most important thing I learned in the United States.

Then, I’ll write cultural observation of life in the United States.

First, there are various people in the United States. In Japanalmost all people are Japanese. But in Americapeople are not only Americanbut also from other countries all over the world. So there are a lot of chances to talk with people around the world. It is very refreshing for me.

Second, there is a custom of tipping in the U.S. It is very inspiring for me because tipping is not customary in Japan. Maybe price in Japan has already included the tip. So we don’t have to pay tip. But in America, we have to pay. 

Third, there are a lot of scooters like Bird or Rime in D.C. I rode it onceand went to the Japanese Embassy we visit in the morning that day. Scooter is very cool. I think anybody can use them easily. I would like to ride them in Japan. So now I decided to call the Governor of Tokyo and tell her to introduce them in Tokyo. (of course, just kidding)

Anyway, I had a very good time in the United States. This two weeks is really my treasure. Thank you for everything. Thank you for everyone.

p.s. I’m sorry for being late for publishing this journal.

This entry was posted in Yellow Dialogue Class. Bookmark the permalink.